Sunday 14 June 2009

Bob Landry

Perhaps more famous for being the only photographer to be in the first wave of troops on D-Day in 1944 (and consequently losing all of his footage), Bob Landry took many iconic shots of the 1940's. This is one of my favourites:

Chaplain playing violin with singing British 8th Army staff the night before an attack - Bob Landry (1942)

This image has particular resonance with me, as my own grandfather was in the 8th Army in North Africa at this time, and for all I know he could even be in that photo. It's a wonderfully simple, powerful image, with the troops framed by a setting sun on the horizon that says a great deal about humanity at a time of war. The only detail that can be seen in the shot is the truck, with all the troops reduced to silhouettes - anonymous for all time.

I will post another iconic Bob Landry shot tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment