Monday 26 July 2010

Playing with Flash

I've been playing around a bit more with my SB600 since doing the RPS Studio Lighting course. It's a far cry from a studio setup, but now I understand a lot more about flash, I'm finding that I'm learning a whole lot more about photography overall.

I purchased an SC-28 Sync Cable this week from http://www.microglobe.co.uk in London so that I could start experimenting with off-camera flash. The cable isn't cheap (though Microglobe were pretty good, having it for £45), but worth the money for the flexibility it gives you. I also have a free reflector from a Practical Photography subscription I had last year - it's pretty good and sturdy, considering it cost me absolutely nothing.

I haven't got any results I'd like to show off just yet, but to anybody just starting out with flash I'd recommend purchasing a sync cable. Chris Burfoot said, "The problem with on-camera flash is that you need to get it off the camera". From my little bit of experimentation so far, I'd say he's absolutely right.

No comments:

Post a Comment