Friday 7 January 2011

Compact Cameras

Although I love my trusty Nikon D80 very dearly, it can sometimes be rather bulky to carry around with me - especially with a couple of lenses in tow. I have been pondering buying a compact camera for some time now, just so that I can always have something to hand if I want to photograph it. The trouble is, I don't really know the first thing about compacts.

I've seen a lot of good reviews about the Canon S95 (sacrilege for a dedicated Nikon user like me), but even the reduced price of £299 strikes me as a lot of money for an everyday camera. The Canon Powershot G12 is meant as an offering for "serious" users, but at £389, it's also a very "serious" investment. I could purchase a lot of kit for my D80 for that!

I'm a bit torn. When we go away on honeymoon to the Maldives, I want a small waterproof camera that I can use while snorkelling, and I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I've investigated the possibilities of underwater housing for my existing kit, but the prices are utterly ridiculous - I wouldn't see much change out of £2000 for a D80-compatible kit, which is about 3x the cost of the camera itself when it was brand new in 2006.

So, I want an underwater compact *and* a good quality "surface" compact, all for under £300. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment