Thursday 6 August 2009

Annie Leibowitz Crunched

I read this in last night's Evening Standard. Annie Leibowitz, the world's highest-paid photographer, is in an immense amount of financial trouble.

I'm no student of Leibowitz, but I do think some of her work is fantastic. She has taken some of the most iconic celebrity photographs of the last 30 years, and will always be remembered among the photography community for that. Now, though, with her debts being completely unmanageable (which seems to be the result of over-indulging and overspending on luxury properties), she stands to lose the rights to her entire photography collection.

That would surely be devastating news for any photographer - to watch creative control of their entire life's work pass into the hands of lawyers.

2 comments:

  1. You must have an interesting take on this whole...I am a photographer not a terrorist thing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the argument from both sides. I don't agree with the constant targetting of photographers under s44 TACT, but then the new Commissioner has made significant policy changes in how it's used. Hostile reconnaissance *does* go on, because I see the CCTV stills every week on briefings, but we can't publicise them for obvious reasons. On the other hand, the over-use of s44 has angered the general public. It's a balancing act between freedom and security, but I think we can begin by refining the use of s44.

    ReplyDelete