Sunday 2 August 2009

Fake Nikon Goods on eBay

Having purchased my new lens, I ordered an HB-7 lens hood - the only compatible hood that Nikon make for the 80 - 200mm f/2.8. I always recommend using one to help reduce flare and ghosting. The trouble is, most camera shops charge over £30 for what is - essentially - a piece of plastic with a screw thread.


As a solution to my problem, I trawled eBay for HB-7 hoods. Most were being sold from Hong Kong with a 2-week dispatch estimate. Not wanting to wait two weeks, I hunted out a UK seller with next-day delivery, with a reasonably priced hood around the £15 mark. Smashing, I thought. I was not so amused when this lump of crap arrived in the post:



It's not even a good attempt at being a fake Nikon hood. The logo is wrong, the box is just plain bollocks, and the hood itself is utter rubbish. It doesn't even stay on the front of the lens or fix securely. On top of that, it lets light in through the side of the lens...which rather renders it useless.

Buyer beware on eBay...

1 comment:

  1. I would use section 44 of the prevention of terrism act to detain them.

    Holden :)

    ReplyDelete